Saturday, November 21, 2009

When does tradition look better?

Tradition, tradition! Tradition!
Tradition, tradition! Tradition!
.......
.......
At three, I started Hebrew school. At ten, I learned a trade.
.......
Tradition, tradition! Tradition!
Tradition, tradition! Tradition!
........
Complete Lyrics at stlyrics.com

There are a lot of things that people do because it has become a tradition..or.. sort of tradition. Studying a specific list of courses at the universities have also become more of a tradition. For example, during my undergraduate studies, Instrumentation and Control Systems was one of the mandatory courses. And that was in my Junior year. To this day, I am wondering the purpose of that course. Worse is the course of ... Carpentry... Yes! You heard me right. Its Carpentry. Come on guys! Which computer engineer in 21st century would want to learn that? I do not have anything against it. Well, I could build a trebuchet for my Kid. But, as a course for 6 months, that was hell...

Now, When tradition, at times, sucks - there are some anti-traditions that make our eye brows raise. Let us see one such anti-traditional course.

Everyone loves youtube. (That might be a overstatement.But, it has the 4th highest traffic. So, let me hold on to this) Now, If you have a course that would teach you to learn from Youtube videos, How would that be? Or, a course that discusses the things that you have learned from Youtube?

You can give it a tag 'Studies on the educational aspect of a social media'... I was kidding. Its just a bunch of students watching You tube videos.

Probably, You could think that I am talking about some hypothetical course. Believe me.. There is one such course. It is named as 'Learnings from YouTube'. People watch YouTube videos and discuss. Thatz a real course...... You can find the complete details here. (Just search for Youtube in the file)

Now, Tradition seems to be far better than anti-tradition....

No comments: