A few questions arise in the mind of ordinary Indian
1. The major advantage/reason (as mentioned by the government) of SEZ is Foreign Investments. The major rule of SEZ is that the Government MUST provide uninterrupted supply of Power and Water to SEZs. There are several places in India which have not received even the traces of electricity. People might feel it as UNFAIR to provide something to foreigners when they are not entitled to it.
2. The primary requirement of SEZ is Land Acquisition. This has already created enough havoc all through the Nation. If SEZ has to be established, then the agricultural lands are targeted for acquisition. But, when there is a need to grow in the global arena, these sacrifices have to be made. But, Lands should be obtained(plucked) from farmers only after providing the proper compensation.
3. The companies which would be established in SEZ would enjoy huge tax benefits. They enjoy the benefits in almost every aspects like Export Import License, Service Tax, Commercial Tax, etc. When it is possible for the Government to provide such huge tax benefits for SEZ, why do not the agricultural sector get some concessions? (The only concession provided, by all the governments, to agriculture is cancellation of the Agricultural Loans.) The exports and imports of agricultural products are taxable.
4. What is the rate of Employment through SEZ? There is no clear numbers. Also, it is well known that SEZ focuses on Hi Technology companies esp. IT companies. So, when the government acquires land from farmers and develop Hi Technology industries, How is it planned to compensate the defeciency in the poduction of agricultural products. The Government should provide a clear statement about its plan.
5. The Government says that SEZ will develop the Country. But, What is development? From my point of view, If all my people would get food, dress and shelter then it is the Primary Development. Then, Government can bring about further developments. But, if Government is planning to improve the standards of few at the cost of poor, then thi would lead to Chaos in the long run.
After all, India is in Global arena. There is no doubt that SEZ has become an absolute necessity. But, if the SEZ have to be fuctioning properly, the Government should address the concern of People. If Government would fail to address the People's concern, it might win in short term. But, there need not be any doubt that India will become a Yet Another Srilanka...