One of my project mate is Badri. Apart from the office work, he usually spends his time in Philanthropy. He is one of the key players in Vidial, a social service organization.
Recently, they are trying to convert Vidial as a trust, so that the activities could be made more professional. So, the trustees have to be selected. There are totally 5 seats and 6 nominations. Now comes the tougher part. What should be done?
The members suggested two different approaches:
1) Make the seats as 7. (Trustees should be odd). So, there is no need of election and one more member could be selected. The issue could be solved. As this would be the first election, the 7 seats could be made a default value in the future years.
2) The election can be conducted and 5 members should be selected. Rules should never be bent for any cause.
Finally, the issue was solved. How???? One of the members resigned from the election. There was no need of election. But the same number of seats existed. His remark at the time of resignation caught my attention:
"I would like to strongly emphasize that whenever we take a decision in VIDIAL, please let us put our emotions aside. It is our brains which have to work and not our hearts, in simple words we have to be professional"
Now, I have 2 questions in my mind.
1) What would be my stand, in this issue? Will I recommend a election or just modify the rule?
2) How will an Organization like Vidial work? Should it be professional or otherwise?
I thought over these issues for a long time.
1) Vidial is a Non-Profit Service oriented organization. People work in this organization only due to the Self-Interest and Service motive. So, the basic and primary building block of such organization is the service oriented mind of the individuals. So, it is very much necessary that this primary building block has to be preserved, even if that would cost some rule modifications.
The rules are set up for the first time. When the rules have already been set up, then they can be made a benchmark to solve issues. So, if a similar issue would arise during the next election, the current rulebook could be shown as the benchmark. (Now we do not have one). Also, it can be pointed out that it would involve the legal issues to increase the number of trustees (in the following years).
So, my take would be to increase the number of seats. But the person, who has resigned his nomination, has to be appreciated. He has sacrificed his post for the professionalism of the organization.
2) It is not just VIDIAL, I feel that any organization should never put the emotions aside. Finally, it is the emotion of someone which has built any organization. It is never the professionalism. The professionalism will help to sustain the growth.
Let us take Cognizant Technology Solutions. It is not the 40,000 brains that create the Cognizant. It is the dream of 3 men (Lakshmi, Chandra and Frank) that has created the Cognizant. There is no doubt that the professionalism is a major factor to maintain this huge crowd. The professionalism is like the stem. It is seen by everyone. The emotion is like the seed. Though it is hidden, it is the creator.
Recently, I have read a book 'Business Maharajas'. One of the Reliance employees had quoted "When my Child was ill, Dhirubhai had readily sent the company car at my disposal. Everyone under Dhirubhai had the trust that whatever problem we face, Dhirubhai would readily put the entire power of the company to help us". I have read a few other incidents that proved that his claim is correct. Reliance workers get the Salary too. The Salary is professional. The trust they had on Dhirubhai and Reliance is emotional.
So, which is required? Both. But if a conflicting situation would arise, then my vote would prefer emotionalism rather than professionalism. (For eg., Professionalism will suggest to invest money in 'Gold Flake' shares. But my emotions will never let me do it.)
So, what is your take?