Thursday, November 23, 2006

A Successful Man.....



...It was a Saturday. The climate was pleasant. I was travelling to my aunt's place. It started raining. So, just to find a shade, I entered the Spencer Plaza. As it was only 9 in the morning, most of the shops were closed. I took refugee at Landmark, one of my favourite places. But this time, I was not interested in buying books. I was browsing through the CD libary. The CD 'Sankarabharanam' caught my attention. I saw the movie when I was a kid. I do not remember anything. I do not know what made me pick up the CD. I returned home with the CD.

I saw the entire movie. The hero of the Movie is "Sankarabharanam Sankara Iyer". It is the story of a Man who worships Music. He lives his life for a Single Cause - Music. He is determined at his goal and does not leave his determination at any cost, even at the cost of his daughter's marriage. He leads a Selfless & Fearless life. Finally, he leaves the World.

Accidentally, the next day, in Gemini TV, the film 'Sagara Sangamam(Salangai Oli)' was telecasted. I saw this film also. Again, the hero 'Balu' worships the Dance. He lives and dies for the Art. He bursts when there is a mistake in dance, even though he is aware of the fact that it will throw him out of his Job. Similar to the previous film, the hero dies at the end.
Usually, I do not watch movies which have a Sad end. But, my feelings were totally different, when I saw these 2 movies. Both the heroes die at the end. But what is their feeling at the time of death? Is that Sorrow? Self Pity? Fear?......
No. I felt that the characters were in ecstasy at the time of death. They were just ready for another journey. They loved their art and they were sure they have led a successful life in living for the Art. (Though both were poor) They had a satisfactory life and death.
Now, when I think what would be my feeling If I die now? Will it be Ecstasy?
No. Certainly No. I do not believe even the trace of Ecstasy would appear at the time of my death. The heroes lived for their Arts. Even If I do consider my work as Art, am I sincere to it? We always think of better jobs, better salaries, etc. We do not love our jobs. We do not love our Company. We do not have LOYALTY. What kind of Life are we leading?
I strongly believe that "A person could be called a successful person only if he has a peaceful, happy death filled with the inner Ecstasy and satisfaction". This is irrespective of his financial wealth or educational qualification or other's opinion. In fact, I want to have only such a death. ....
So, How about you? What do you think the definition of a 'Successful Man'? What kind of feeling will you have at the time of death?........

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I Die i Will surely not think about u....

Siva said...

If Balu's character had loyalty he should have stayed in his job and write whatever crap his editor wanted to write. Instead he loved his field and quit.

There are only very few places where loyalty to employer and love to the field can go hand in hand. At lot of places it is even mutually exclusive :-). You sometimes have to quit the employer if you really love the field. How is CTS ?

Pandi said...

What you people always talking about god,music,dance...

In my view, if you like a job or any idiot thing, you are going to sacrifice yourself for it..(That is you r going to work or die(4 ur own desires).

If a begger begs you for something. your mind won t let you to give him a 5 rs..even if u had 1000 rs in ur hand..If u gave a 2 Rs to him u become a kind(Relatively) person.
..see the condition of humanity...

In the above scenario no matter if u r a musician or whatever ur profession is, ultimately you FAILED to behave as a human..

Finally, if u want to be successfull, help the people ( atleast give 1 rs to begger(!)). It gives you a happy which leads to you a SUCCESSFUL(as a human) and it will end you a PEACEFUL DEATH

Seenivasan said...

Definition of success and the perception of a successful man varies person to person.

Leave out the characters on silver screen, in reality, if I ask you to quote an example of a successful man whom whould you quote? Look at the attribute of that person. can you say that anyone with that attribute is a successful man?

I think Mittal is a successful man as he is sitting on billions. I can not conclude that only people who is sleeping on the pile of $ is successful.
I think Kamarajar is also a successful man as he came with no background and was a king maker. But died with only a few hundreds of rupees.

I also think that it is not by the death only by the life it would decided whether or not a person was successful.
(It is quite possible that a begger who gets his 'unda katti' food everyday, dies peacefully & satisfactorily; I am not gonna call this guy a successful).

By the way, coincidentally I was thinking of writing a blog on the same topic 'successful man'. :-)

Unfortunately, movies fall under drama genre are not coming in tamil now-a-days. Before the release someon said 'varalaru' is Ajith's Salangai Oli. Appadi irukku, tamil cinema industry's state now. Even these two movies that you have quoted are telugu. I feel Telugu cinema releases good dramas every now and then.

Sarangan Rajamanickam said...

Seeni anna,
I accept your points. The perception of Success varies from Person to Person. This is true while validating others. But not the self.

Let me say Dhirubhai Ambani as successful person. Starting his carrer as a worker in Petrol Bunk, he has raised to such a powerful position in the Business World. He would be considered as a successful man by all of us. But what about his own self?

That great man would have certainly smelled that his sons would fight after his death. As far as growing his Sons, he might have considered himself as failure. We might not know....

So, suceess should not come from outside. It should bloom from inside. It is not the money(Mittal), fame(Film Stars), Power(Kamarajar) that is going to give you success. They just create the illusion to others that you are a successful man.

It is the satisfaction that determines the real sucess. That satisfaction is the only tool through which You determine YOURSELF a successful person. The other tools like money, power, etc. are just the public opinion. That satisfaction could come only when you love your Work or Art or Anything.(This would fit even for Kamarajar and Gandhi)

So, finally it is only the Selfless Love that will make you a successful man....

As far as movies, Yes. Tamil movies do not have any drama-genre varieties now-a-days. But still Em Magan has satisfied this....